04 November 2013

13 : Nature meets Suburbia - Something Old meets Something New

Nature v Suburbia
 
Living in a relatively new housing development on the very edge of the metropolitan area certainly has its up side.  Our estate has evolved around the natural flora and fauna of the area where purpose built wetlands have been created to encourage local bird life.  You really begin to appreciate how successful this mix has been when you go for a nature walk only metres away from all the newly built homes, primary school, kindergarten and child care centre.
 
It is special to quietly observe the local rabbits at sunrise and dawn nibbling away, to enjoy the variety of water fowl and other bird life amongst the purpose built water catchments and along the river that meanders through the estate.  However, something I don't think I can ever learn to appreciate is the ever so natural and absolute abundance of flies that accompany me on my walk.  I may have started out alone on my Spring walk today, enjoying some peaceful quiet time, however, I most certainly did not finish alone.  Instead, I managed to collect a large population of the local flies that seem to think that sticking with me and bringing all their mates along for the ride is some kind of human sport.
 
Despite the flies and the ever threatening wind gusts that are just part and parcel of living in a valley, I don't think I could ever tire of walking amongst nature.  I enjoy most of all watching the native birds and other animals raise their families year after year alongside our human ones.  If you are really lucky, and look very carefully, you can sometimes even catch a glimpse of a lazy Koala or two snoozing in the gum trees safely towering above us all.
 
 Dawn, two rabbits bouncing off in the distance ...
 
 Cocky season! Sulphur crested cockatoos in the school gum trees...
 
 Purpose built wetlands
 
 ... complete with natural water fowl
 
 Where's Wally?  A parrot hidden in a gum tree...
 
 A kookaburra sits in the old gumtree...
 
 River...
 
 Flies!
 
Sunrise...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please feel free to leave comments :)

Total Pageviews